Friday, January 22, 2010

Sunset at Hermosa Terrace in La Jolla



On Saturday, I managed to get down to La Jolla for the sunset. The clouds were looking really good, with the high pressure system starting to break down, but not yet gone. I really wanted to get out before the big storms hit Southern California.

While driving down the coast road in La Jolla past Windansea, I saw a large exposed reef at Hermosa Terrace Park and thought that it might make for a good shot.

There was a guy way out on the reef in rubber boots. He warned me that the tide was lowest at 4 pm and was starting to come back in. The water level was only going to get higher. I decided to see how far out I could get, jumping from one reef to another to get out most of the way.

As the sun was setting, I was shooting, knowing the tide was coming back in. As I'm shooting, parts of the reef in my composition are disappearing. The nice smooth reflection in a pool of water turns into a rippled, flowing stream. At the time, I remember thinking - "I'll figure out how to get back to the beach later" and "I'm sure it will be worth it for the shot".

After the sun set and the water level continued rising, I decide to start heading back towards shore, only to find my path across is now underwater. I realize that I can't jump across the water and that I'm going to have to get a little wet. As I'm packing the camera into my backpack, the tide continues to come in further and the water level is rising.

I ended up with one foot soaked in cold sea water, but made it back to the beach. From there I took some more pictures. The irony is that in the end, I didn't really like any of the pictures I had taken far out on the reef, except for this one well before the sun had set and the tide had come in:



More pictures are up at:
http://underpressurephoto.com/Beaches/Reefs-at-Hermosa-Terrace/

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment