Friday, January 8, 2010

First post!

A couple exploring the tide pools decided to stand right in front of where I was photographing, so I decided to make them part of the picture.  I'm not sure if they were collecting creatures, but they each had a small bucket.  I'm curious how they would have reacted if I'd asked them to pose.  I was annoyed at first, given the amount of reef nearby they could have walked to, but this one ended up being one of my favorite shots of the evening.

I thought I'd start out my first blog post with one of my most recent images.   I haven't been diving since 12/20/09, so I've been taking a lot of landscape/nature photographs.

The clouds had been nice, wispy cirrus clouds all day and there was a good chance of a nice sunset. However, as it got late in the day, the clouds along the coast began to fill in. I wasn't sure whether it was worth the 6 mile drive to the coast. With only 1/2 hour before sundown, I decided to head down to the closest beach. I hadn't photographed the sunset at the south Carlsbad State Beach before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew there were some nice sandstone bluffs, but wasn't sure if there was much else. As I approached the beach, I could see the sun peaking through at the horizon. I also noticed that there was no parking, in an area where normally only winter surfers park.

After finally finding a parking spot, I hurried down to the beach. To my pleasant surprise (because I'd forgotten the surf report), the tide was very low and a lot of reef was exposed. There were crowds of people out on the reefs exploring the tide pools. I had to stake out a small patch of exposed reef a little ways down the beach from the crowd as the sun was starting to set.


A couple exploring the tide pools decided to stand right in front of where I was photographing, so I decided to make them part of the picture. I'm not sure if they were collecting creatures, but they each had a small bucket. I'm curious how they would have reacted if I'd asked them to pose. I was annoyed at first, given the amount of reef nearby they could have walked to, but this one ended up being one of my favorite shots of the evening.

Other sunset photos are located at:
http://www.underpressurephoto.com/B-Sides/Sunsets/

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment